WALK BIKE BCD will guide short- and long-term transportation and land use planning decisions to address walking and biking access in the BCD region. This plan will not only integrate the planning efforts of communities within the tri-county region, but also establish an overarching vision for a safe, connected, and convenient walking and bicycling network, accessible to all ages and abilities, that is feasible and fundable.
The Plan builds upon the area’s prior efforts and regional leadership for active transportation and community investment. These successes include:
- On-street bicycling facilities like Coleman Boulevard and Spruill Avenue, and shareduse paths like Sweetgrass Basket Parkway and Bees Ferry Road
- The Folly Road Corridor Study and the consideration of bridge improvements
- Town of Awendaw's efforts towards trail development
- CARTA’s record-setting bus ridership in 2014
- Regional trail planning in Charleston County
- Investment in the East Coast Greenway and Palmetto Trail
- An innovative green infrastructure planning project in Berkeley County
- Establishing a local Eat Smart Move More Tri-County coalition
- Private sector investments in shared-use paths like Nexton, Cane Bay, and the East Edisto development
- Interest in bicycle share as part of the urban transportation network
- Coordination of a regional blueways network
- Dorchester County’s SC Great Outdoors asset inventory and promotional campaign
- And many more...